The wharf in Blanc Sablon is used primarily to supply the local population on a weekly basis, to receive general goods, and to provide daily ferry services between Blanc-Sablon and Newfoundland from May to January. Incoming shipments of petroleum products are also received at the wharf.
Secondary role(s) of facilities
The public wharf provides protection for the adjacent fixed ferry ramp and the nearby Fisheries and Oceans wharf.
There is no channel between the wharf and navigable waters.
- Lat. 51o24'54" N
- Long. 57o09'03" W
- Nautical chart: no. 4670
- Tidal range (mean water level): 2.1 m (1)
- Height of wharf deck: 4.5 m (1)
- Interior: 480 m2, 2,880 m3
(Warehouse used by Relais Nordik inc., heated and insulated)
- Exterior: 880 m2
(Used by Relais Nordik inc.)
Other facilities (2)
- Fishermen's wharf (Fisheries and Oceans), situated North
- Winter boat storage with shiplift
- Hauling slip (Fisheries and Oceans)
Other nearby marine facilities
St-Augustin wharf (Transport Canada), approximately 100 km West
Generally accessible from April to January
Other modes of transportation
- Linked to provincial highway network and Labrador
- Regional airport in Lourdes-de-Blanc-Sablon
Manoeuvring area on wharf
Available width: 20 m (Variable)
- Fixed boarding ramp for ferry
- Indoor and outdoor storage
- Electrical outlet for containers
- Waiting room for passengers in Transport Canada shed
(1) Based on chart datum
(2) Privately owned or other facilities not under the juridiction of Transport Canada but located within the limits of the port or terminal
|Physical parameters of facilities||Wharf|
|Length of berth(s)
|Depth of berth(s) *
|Bearing capacity of loading area and mobile ramp ***
Cathodic protection system in operation at this facility, precautionary
measures to be taken.
Communicate with the port/wharf warden:
* These depths may vary and are only provided as an order of magnitude. They are subject to change and are not to be used for navigational purposes. Mariners should rather consult nautical charts and NOTSHIPs.
The information contained in this technical description may be inaccurate as a result of changes that have taken place by the time this document is consulted or as a result of legislative or regulatory changes. This information is provided only as a guide and the Government of Canada is not in any way responsible for its accuracy.
*** For more information on the berths' bearing capacities, please contact the port official.